Not all diversity recruiting strategies are the same. But, the end goal is essentially the same for all orgs with diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives. They want to:
- Afford equal opportunity to all job seekers of diverse backgrounds
- Source female candidates and those from underrepresented groups
- Remove unconscious biases from all parts of the recruiting process
- Replace exclusive language in job descriptions with inclusive messaging
- Hire qualified candidates who bring unique perspectives and ideas
- Provide a safe and welcoming work environment for diverse teams
How companies attempt to achieve this goal can vary widely.
Suppose your C-suite charges your talent team with revamping your sourcing, nurturing, and interviewing to boost the diversity of your candidate pool and hire more diverse talent, including people of different races, ages, genders, gender identities, and sexual orientations.
In this instance, you have multiple avenues you can take to implement diversity recruiting strategies that help you connect with and convert high-quality diverse talent.
3 diversity recruiting strategies your talent acquisition team should implement
1) Ritual better competes for qualified diverse talent
Vitamin supplement provider Ritual had big plans to scale its TA team and org at large.
Ritual wanted to accelerate headcount growth considerably. At the same time, it needed to better competing with other companies for scarce, high-quality talent.
However, there were several hurdles the company had to clear to realize this goal:
- Ritual lacked advanced and intuitive tech that offered not just powerful ATS features, but also other advanced functionality leading talent teams need to thrive today.
- Specifically, it needed a platform that automated workflows, synced with critical HR systems, and had intuitive candidate relationship management (CRM) capabilities.
- This is what led Ritual VP of Talent Acquisition Thea Drake to LeverTRM for Enterprise — and on her way to transforming the company’s TA program, including its diversity recruiting strategies.
- Regarding its DEI efforts, the out-of-the-box EEO and diversity surveys in Lever immediately helped Ritual’s recruiters collect diversity-related details for their candidate pool.
- Meanwhile, other native LeverTRM features, like anonymized resume review, also enabled all hiring team members at the company to refine their evaluation processes.
“LeverTRM for Enterprise gives us the capabilities to build out a more structured interview process with competencies that we include in our hiring process,” Thea explained.
“It enables the recruiting team to identify a diverse hiring squad.”
Forming diverse interview panels. Ensuring all job postings feature inclusive language. Analyzing the diversity recruiting strategies put into play by each recruiter. That’s what LeverTRM for Enterprise enables Thea and her team to accomplish with greater ease today.
2) Voro reduces bias with recruiting and hiring efforts
“Ridiculously high standards.” That’s what Matt O’Laughlin, Partner and COO at Voro, a digital media agency, said his TA staff has, when it comes to achieving team and company hiring KPIs.
And that carries over to his team’s diversity recruiting strategies:
- Voro uses LeverTRM to blind-review leads. This has helped reduce hiring-related biases significantly. Because of this, every candidate is considered solely for their merits.
- Matt’s team also automates feedback surveys to candidates. Automation helps Voro better discern strong and weak areas of its recruitment funnel, thanks to direct comments from prospects on their experience applying to and/or engaging with the business.
- Sharing DEI data on its site and with job seekers also helps Voro differentiate itself from other businesses. (That is, ones that don’t prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion.)
“You can never completely eliminate bias,” Matt said. “But, we’re working on reducing bias as much as possible at each stage in the hiring process. LeverTRM is structured in a way that supports our bias reduction goals and boosts confidence within our hiring teams.”
With “Make Work Better” Voro’s mantra, Matt and Co. continue to make strides with streamlining day-to-day work and realizing long-term goals. And DEI is at the top of their list.
In short, LeverTRM empowers Voro to work better. (Think smarter, not harder.)
“Lever gives you a map,” per Matt. “They’ve been very thoughtful about building a tool around what good hiring practices should look like to naturally steer you in a positive direction.”
3) Loopio leverages diversity recruiting insights to evolve
Following two consecutive years of substantial revenue growth, Loopio — an RFP management software provider — knew it needed to scale its modest-sized talent team.
Notably, it needed to invest in an entirely new TA suite to grow at its desired rate.
One key barrier to evolving its team and strategy? Its legacy ATS. Notably, one Loopio Sr. Manager of Talent Experience Yeniffer Pang-Chung said prevented her team from:
- Providing structure to its sourcing and referral processes by unifying candidate info
- Protecting all sensitive data tied to candidates at each stage of the recruitment funnel
- Facilitating cross-team communication to improve hiring speed, quality, and efficiency
- Making meaningful progress with diversity recruiting strategies (e.g., pipeline diversity)
LeverTRM aids Loopio in each of these areas. For its DEI recruiting efforts, specifically, Yeniffer said the Diversity dashboard in Visual Insights — our built-in analytics solution — is an essential element of the company’s diversity and inclusion initiative.
The data view enables Yeniffer and her team to easily unearth DEI insights.
For instance, in just a few, simple clicks, they can discover active diverse opps in its talent pool and the best and worst job boards and social media sites to source diverse candidates.
In turn, each talent specialist is able to share actionable diversity insights they uncover with their TA colleagues. This helps the team improve its diversity recruiting strategy.
“When I’m looking at DEI and the type of experience we want to provide and the people we want to attract, having consistent hiring frameworks in place is key,” according to Yeniffer.
“LeverTRM provides us with that structure,” to hire smarter, Yennifer added.
(A bonus tactic Loopio uses to build a diverse talent pool? An annual DEI report that outlines its efforts and progress with diversity hiring. This shows its commitment to building a diverse workforce — something many candidates want to see from employers today.)
Watch our DEI audit webinar to learn how you can work with your C-suite and HR leaders to assess and improve your org’s diversity hiring efforts in the months and years ahead.